Thursday, November 12, 2009

Lost symbol effect!!!



At last I found the lost symbol ;)

The much awaited moment was ended when my Anna gifted me with Dan Brown’s Lost symbol (my Rakhi gift). I dint get the chance to read it first because Pinki had already booked it. Let me say, this book is awesome!!!

Whenever I read a Dan Brown book, it develops some sort of strange interest in me. Each sentence awakes the info seeker in me….and I feel am the one, who is searching for the so called precious info in the story. I know my imagination is too kiddish.
If I keep my fantasy stuff apart, Brown's style keeps the pages turning as readers try to connect the dots, which is the crucial thing in this book. All his thrillers are known for its style and its relation to Christianity.

Narrating a story is something really great and I lack that art. That’s why am so much interested in reading those kinds of books which are very strong in narration. The plot, situations, and characters move along with you when you read through the text. Isn’t it a great art? (Off course it is!!! I am struggling to create continuity in whatever crap I write :)

And another important fact is the book’s relation with catholic conspiracies. Being a catholic, am interested in Catholicism and it’s so called ‘church secrets’. The plot is set in such a way that the Symbols and mythology provides a fun chance to toy with conspiracy theories. I never knew there were so many secrets behind the Catholic Church. (Hope it’s not true :)

The book didn’t consume my much time as The Lost Symbol' does not require much effort to read. Some words did need a Google search; still it never spoiled the continuity of the plot.

I am so much impressed by the writing style of Brown. But I read a few reviews criticized the narrative as witless, adjectivally-promiscuous and addicted to using italics to convey excitement. Is that really true? I don’t read many thrillers and not familiar with the adept thriller writers. If you can invoke interest through your own writing style, then why need to follow other writers. I did have great time by reading the book, then why to worry about the critics.

Let me tell you one thing frankly, I didn’t like the ending :(
but no comments ;)

1 comment:

  1. "Narrating a story is something really great and I lack that art."
    i feel the other way! u do not lack it...and on the contrary, u have a terribly strong flair for it. u look like 'communication' is 'second nature' to u! ... so seamlessly 'built into' ur configuration! atleast that's what those who watch u become instantly
    aware of! and u are trained in it, too.... hot material for the advertising industry. if people are there to make sensible use of ur talents.
    i almost envy u for ur language! it has a strange charm! and it really is compelling!
    here i am! an unlucky person to lack it, who works real hard... desperately doing everything he can, to build it!
    struggling with his language because he has a dream of writing a book (that too a novel!) one day...the work on which is already under way. the first draft, focusing only on the content is ready. but the tough job is putting it all into a decent and sensible language.... but who knows! one day u will find it on the shelves of ur favourite bookstall! check fora title, something like:'THE SPACE WITHIN'!
    sorrrry!!! i forgot for why i started this comment in the first place. it is to say that u have immense potential to write.
    (that's my finding! the cues i relied on are so many. i can read a person's fortune just by looking at his face or at the most by
    reading his palm) u definitely have the spark in u, believe me! please don't throw away this suggestion, right away. atleast keep
    it in one corner of ur mind: to go back to sometime later when u think and feel u are ready for it! i am hopefull that that day
    will sooner or later come. if u consider it seriously enough, there still is an unfilled vacancy after arudhati ray: a mallu english writer!

    ReplyDelete